Energy production and consumption statistics are provided in total and by fuel, and provide an analysis of the latest 3 months data compared to the same period a year earlier. Energy price statistics cover domestic price indices, prices of road fuels and petroleum products and comparisons of international road fuel prices.
Energy production and consumption
Highlights for the 3 month period October to December 2017, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK on a fuel input basis fell by 0.6%, on a temperature adjusted basis consumption also fell by 0.6%. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production fell by 0.3%, driven by the closure of the Forties Pipeline System for maintenance in December 2017. (table ET 1.1) Net imports of gas were at a near record high level in December 2017 to meet the shortfall. (table ET 4.2)
- Electricity generation by Major Power Producers down 2.2%, with coal down 5.6% and gas down 13.2%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Gas provided 44.1% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with renewables at 25.5%, nuclear at 20.1% and coal at 10.3%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 5.9 percentage points to 45.6%, due to increased renewables generation.* (table ET 5.4)
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
Highlights for February 2018 compared to January 2018:
- Petrol prices up 0.4 pence per litre on month, whilst diesel prices up 0.5 pence per litre. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Lead statistician Warren Evans, Tel 0300 068 5059
Press enquiries: Tel 020 7215 6140 / 020 7215 8931
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of December 2017.
Statistics on average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of January 2018.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for January 2018, and petrol & diesel data for February 2018, with EU comparative data for January 2018.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 29 March 2018.
To access the data tables associated with this release please click on the relevant subject link(s) below. For further information please use the contact details provided.
Please note that the links below will always direct you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables please contact BEIS (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Subject and table number
||Energy production and consumption, and weather data
||Contact: Kevin Harris, Tel: 0300 068 5041
||Indigenous production of primary fuels
||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis
||Contact: Coal statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5050
||Coal production and foreign trade
||Coal consumption and coal stocks
||Contact: Nick Jesson, Tel: 0300 068 5346
||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports
||Stocks of petroleum
||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products
||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption
||Contact: Ben Lucking, Tel: 0207 215 5010
||Natural gas production and supply
||Natural gas imports and exports
||Natural gas imports
||Contact: Electricity statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5046
||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers
||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system
||Availability and consumption of electricity
||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047
||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean
||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean
||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean
||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean