Reference ID: SFR28/2010
Publication Type: Statistical First Release
Publication data: Underlying Statistical data
Local Authority data: LA data
Release Date: 12 October 2010
Coverage status: Final
Publication Status: Published
The release is the 7th in an annual series of statistics and the second since the implementation of the statutory early years foundation stage profile (EYFS profile) in September 2008. The early years foundation stage profile measures achievements of children aged 5 against 13 assessment scales, with 9 points within each scale (‘scale point’). The 13 assessment scales are grouped into 6 areas of learning.
The key points from the latest release are:
- The majority of children continue to work securely within (6 points or more) the early learning goals for all assessment areas.
- The assessment areas with the highest percentage of children working securely within the early learning goals were:
- Physical development and personal, social and emotional development: dispositions and attitudes - 91 per cent.
- The assessment area with the lowest percentage of children working securely within the early learning goals was:
- Communication, language and literacy: writing - 65 per cent
- Girls continue to achieve at a higher level in all assessment scales compared to boys with the widest gap being in writing.
- The percentage of children achieving a good level of development in 2010 was 56% compared to 52% in 2009 and 49% in 2008.