Written statement to Parliament
UK Cyber Security Strategy: statement on the final annual report
Minister for the Cabinet Office, Matt Hancock, made a statement on the final annual report of the UK Cyber Security Strategy 2011-2016.
In 2010, the National Security Strategy identified cyber as a Tier 1 threat to the UK. In November 2011, we published the UK National Cyber Security Strategy.
From 2011 to 2016, the government funded a £860 million National Cyber Security Programme to deliver the strategy’s vision of ‘a vibrant, resilient and secure cyberspace’. The objectives of this programme aimed to:
- make the UK one of the most secure places in the world to do business in cyberspace
- make the UK more resilient to cyber attack and better able to protect our interests in cyberspace
- help shape an open, vibrant and stable cyberspace that supports open societies
- build the UK’s cyber security knowledge, skills and capability
We have presented regular reports to Parliament on progress against the strategy’s objectives. Today I am publishing the final report for the programme.
The report summarises progress during 2015/16 against the strategy’s objectives, reviews the impact of the programme since it was established, and looks ahead to the new 2016 National Cyber Security Strategy and Programme.
There has been significant progress towards reaching these goals. As a result of programme initiatives:
- we have enhanced national capabilities to protect and defend ourselves against those who would do us harm
- businesses of all sizes and sectors are now better protected
- we have a greater share of the international cyber security market
- our online government services are increasingly secure
- we are actively tackling cyber crime
- we are playing a leading role in international cyber security
- we are actively building our cyber skills and knowledge
In partnership with business, the academic community and international partners, we have built a solid foundation for the future. We are grateful to partners for their collaboration and efforts. The government cannot deliver these goals on its own.
Against a backdrop of increased threats we have improved the UK’s effort to enhance cyber security. But there is more to do. The 2015 National Security Strategy confirmed that cyber remains a Tier 1 threat to the UK’s economic and national security. As a result, the government will publish a new National Cyber Security Strategy this year, which will define our vision and ambition for the future. The government will further increase investment in cyber security to £1.9 billion over the next 5 years.
We will continue to report progress to Parliament.