Your property and blight

What to do if the value of your property is reduced because of major trunk road proposals or improvements.

This publication was withdrawn on

Latest guidance ‘Your property and blight’ can be found on the National Highways website.


Your property and blight

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Large scale or major public works near a property can reduce its value, making it hard to sell at market rate - this is referred to as blight.

This booklet is designed to help you understand what you can do if you believe your house is blighted by major new trunk road proposals or improvements, including:

  • how to serve a blight notice on Highways England, asking for the purchase of your property in advance of it being required for a road scheme
  • how Highways England deals with blight notices
  • how to complain or appeal
Published 11 February 2015
Last updated 10 February 2020 + show all updates
  1. Latest version of document added

  2. Latest version of 'Your property and blight' document added

  3. Document updated

  4. First published.