Children's social care services: raising concerns with Ofsted

How to share concerns about children’s social care services with Ofsted, including whistleblowing, and what we will do with the information.

Applies to England



If you believe that any child is at immediate risk of harm, contact the children’s social care department of the child’s local authority or report this to the police.

Otherwise, it’s usually best to talk to the social care provider first. However, you may want to contact us if you:

  • are not satisfied with the provider’s response
  • feel that you cannot contact the provider directly

This guidance sets out what Ofsted can and cannot do, the types of issues you can raise with us, and what we will do with your information.

Published 21 January 2016
Last updated 20 September 2019 + show all updates
  1. As we work to improve the accessibility of our website, we have made updates to the structure and layout of this page.

  2. Revised guidance to include all concerns (rather than just whistleblowing).

  3. First published.