What nature can do for you
A practical introduction to making the most of natural services, assets and resources in policy and decision making.
This guide is designed to help policy makers across Government to understand:
- The value of what nature does for you now,
- The costs and risks we are leaving ourselves open to if we fail to take the value of its services into account in our decisions,
- How you can work with natural systems to help you deliver efficiently in the future.
The guide is focussed on helping policy makers to put this into practice and includes:
- A clear explanation of the principles of an ecosystems approach
- Details on how an ecosystems approach can help policy makers to take account of the value of the natural environment at every stage of the policy making process
- 1 hour of essential reading to help readers quickly get up to speed on this issue
- A ‘self-assessment’ to help policy makers to see how they are doing already and what could be gained by doing more to understand how the natural environment interacts with their policy issue
- Sign-posting to a range of detailed resources, case-studies and further reading on specific topics such as valuation and systematic thinking.