This letter from the Chief Medical Officers for the United Kingdom raises awareness of the risk of vitamin D deficiency amongst certain groups particularly:
- All pregnant and breastfeeding women
- Infants and young children under 5 years of age
- Older people aged 65 years and over
- People who have low or no exposure to the sun
- People who have darker skin
The letter also contains a list of recommendations issued by all the UK health departments for people at-risk on whether they may need to take vitamin D supplements.