There are specific requirements for prescribing and supplying veterinary medicines by pharmacists.
Ref: Information Leaflet No. 16 PDF, 2.5MB, 2 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
In addition to supplying medicines against a prescription from a vet, pharmacists may also supply certain medicines against a prescription from a pharmacist.
Only vets can diagnose clinical conditions in animals.
Information covered includes:
- regulation of veterinary medicines
- distribution categories of veterinary medicines
- prescribing, dispensing and supply
- prescription responsibilities when supplying veterinary medicines
- record keeping
- internet retail of veterinary medicines
- use of human medicines in animals