Tell HMRC about a new ship or aircraft you've bought

Tell HMRC that you've bought a new means of transport in another EU state and brought it to the UK (if you can't register for VAT in the UK) using form VAT415.


VAT: new means of transport (ships and aircraft): notification of acquisition (VAT415)


Use form VAT415 if you’re a private individual or a business or legal entity, who can’t register for VAT in the UK and you’ve bought a new (not previously used or owned) means of transport (boats and aircraft) in another EU state and brought it to the UK.

Before you start

If you’re using an older browser, for example, Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so gather all your information together before you begin to fill it in.

Help and guidance relating to this form

VAT Notice 728 - new means of transport
Use this notice for information on how VAT applies to new means of transport.

Published 16 September 2014
Last updated 20 July 2015 + show all updates
  1. Welsh version of VAT415 form has been added to the page.
  2. First published.