Business tax – form

VAT: application for VAT group treatment (VAT50)

Use form VAT50 to apply for VAT group treatment or to add companies to an existing VAT group.


Application for VAT group treatment (VAT50)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request a different format.

If you use assistive technology and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Use VAT 50 if you want to register for VAT for 2 or more companies or other corporate bodies as one entity with one VAT registration number. This is known as ‘VAT group treatment’. You can also use this form to add or remove companies to or from an existing VAT group.

Get the right software

This form is interactive (one that you complete on screen) and you must use Adobe Reader to compete it. Downloading Adobe Reader is free. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader.

Group, division or joint venture VAT registration
Use this guide to find out whether you have to register as a group and how to do it.

Notice 700/2 - Group and Divisional Registration
Use this notice to find out about group registration when your company comes under common control.

FAQ: Form VAT 50
Use this guide to find out frequently asked questions when completing the form VAT 50.

VAT: application for VAT group treatment - company details (VAT51)
When registering or amending a VAT group using form VAT 50 use form VAT 51 to give details of each company in the group.

VAT: application to change the representative member of a VAT group (VAT56)
Use form VAT56 to change the representative member of a VAT group.