Use form VAT51 to provide details of companies that you’re adding or removing from an existing VAT group. If you’re using form VAT 50 to apply for VAT group treatment, also use form VAT 51 to provide details of each company or other corporate body in the group.
Email HMRC to ask for this form in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Before you start
This form is interactive (one that you complete on screen) and you must use Adobe Reader to complete it. Downloading Adobe Reader is free. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
HMRC is creating new versions of their forms that do not depend on Adobe Reader. Whilst this work is in progress the following methods can be used to ensure the form will download or open in Adobe Reader:
- whatever browser you are using, review your settings to make Adobe Reader the default program for opening PDF documents
- Windows users should right click on the form link then select ‘Save target as’ or ‘Save link as’
- Mac users should right click on the form link then select ‘Save linked file as’
- save the form - the recommended place is in the documents folder
- using Adobe Reader you can open the form
If the form still does not open, then contact the Online Services helpdesks for more help.
Group, division or joint venture VAT registration
Use this guide to find out whether you have to register as a group and how to do it.
Notice 700/2 - Group and Divisional Registration
Use this notice to find out about group registration when your company comes under common control.
FAQ: Form VAT 50
Use this guide to find out frequently asked questions when completing the form VAT 50.
VAT: application for VAT group treatment (VAT50)
When registering or amending a VAT group using form VAT 50 use form VAT 51 to give details of each company in the group.
VAT 56 - Application to change the representative member of a VAT group
Use form VAT 56 to change the representative member of a VAT group.