Universal Credit: further information for couples
An overview of what Universal Credit means for couples who make a joint claim, including who can make a joint claim and what they will be expected to do in return.
This guide provides basic information about what couples need to know if they make a joint Universal Credit claim.
It includes information about how DWP defines a couple and the steps that people will be expected to take when they make a joint Universal Credit claim. It covers:
- how a joint claim is made online
- what claimants will be expected to do in return
- how payments are made
Part of the Universal Credit toolkit for partner organisations.
Published: 20 June 2014
Updated: 6 February 2017
- Added information and link to Money Advice Service money manager.
- Updated to reflect changes to Universal Credit from April 2016 (English only, Welsh to follow).
- Revised version with new information about the roll-out of Universal Credit.
- Revised version includes the latest information about Universal Credit.
- First published.