This report contains the findings of the first of 2 large-scale qualitative research projects designed to better understand:
- how the strategic road network (SRN) is being used
- what road users expect from the network both now and in the future.
Research took place in May to June 2013 and comprised of:
- 14 focus group discussions with private individuals who travel by road for personal business (e.g. commuting, leisure trips and shopping)
- 32 one-to-one depth interviews with business decision makers responsible for procurement and/or management of business travel within their organisation
Research was conducted in 7 regions across England.
The study explored:
- road user perceptions of and needs from the SRN
- priorities for improving the network
- understanding of the relationship between investment in the SRN and economic growth
This research has informed government’s thinking around roads reform, the content of the ‘Action for roads’ command paper and development of the ‘Road investment strategy’.