Geographical coverage: United Kingdom
Information broken down by: Domestic transport, international transport
- In 2013, total greenhouse gas emissions for transport (including international) were 157.7 million tonnes of CO2equivalent (MtCO2e), with domestic transport greenhouse gas emissions being 116.8 MtCO2e.
Million tonnes of CO2 equivalent/Percentage
||% change 1990 to 2013
View this data in an interactive chart
Including international aviation and international shipping
157.7 MtCO2e in 2013
Total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from transport increased by 8% between 1990 (146.2 MtCO2e) and 2013 (157.7 MtCO2e)
Excluding international aviation and international shipping
116.8.0 MtCO2e in 2013
Total domestic greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from transport fell by 4% between 1990 (121.7 MtCO2e) and 2013 (116.8 MtCO2e) and made up 21% of UK domestic greenhouse gas emissions from all sources.
The figures published for this indicator are the emissions from the basket of greenhouse gases covered by the Kyoto Protocol. In accordance with international reporting protocols each of the gases is weighted by its global warming potential relative to that of carbon dioxide and presented in terms of the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide.
The data are compiled by DECC and its contractors on a calendar year basis due to the reporting timetable of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the EU. The methodology behind the compilation from all sources, also agreed with the UNFCCC, takes some time to work through and final results for the calendar year 2013 were published in February 2015. Results for 2014 will be published in early 2016.
- publishing schedule: annually
- last updated: compiled from figures published by Department of Energy and Climate Change on 3 February 2015
- next update: compiled by figures published by the Department of Energy and Climate Change early 2016
Further information on transport environment and energy statistics are available from the DfT website at:
Further greenhouse gas emission statistics are available from:
- DECC: greenhouse gas emissions statistics