This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
It brings together information, guidance and key policies and is a resource for all involved in flood emergency planning.
Ref: PB14238 PDF, 2.24MB
Ref: PB14046 PDF, 1.12MB, 48 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This Framework sets out the government’s strategic approach to achieving the aims set out below and is intended for use by all those involved in planning for and responding to flooding from:
- the sea
- surface water
- groundwater and
The concept of a National Flood Emergency Framework was promoted by Sir Michael Pitt in his report on the summer 2007 floods. Its purpose is to provide a forward looking policy framework for flood emergency planning and response. It brings together information, guidance and key policies and is a resource for all involved in flood emergency planning at national, regional and local levels. It is a common and strategic reference point for flood planning and response for all tiers of government and for responder organisations.
More precisely, the purpose of the Framework is to:
- ensure delivery bodies understand their respective roles and responsibilities
- give all players in an emergency flooding situation a common point of reference - bringing together information, guidance and key policies in a single planning document
- establish clear thresholds for emergency response arrangements
- place proper emphasis on the multi-agency approach to managing flooding events
- provide clarity on the means of improving resilience and minimising the impact of flooding events
- provide a basis for individual responders to develop and review their own plans and
- be a long-term asset that will provide the basis for continuous improvement in flood emergency management
Published: 31 October 2013
Updated: 18 December 2014
- Framework document updated and replaced.
- First published.