The Mendoza Review: an independent review of museums in England
Independent review, led by Neil Mendoza, outlining key recommendations for how government can support the museums sector in England.
This Review was undertaken in response to the Culture White Paper in 2016, which called for “a wide-ranging review of national, local and regional museums, working closely with Arts Council England (ACE) and the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF)”. It looks at what the national infrastructure for museums is and what it could and should be; the museums sponsored directly by government; and the challenges and opportunities for all of England’s museums. It makes recommendations across the following areas:
- Adapting to today’s funding environment
- Growing and diversifying audiences
- Dynamic collection curation and management
- Contributing to placemaking and local priorities
- Delivering cultural education
- Working in museums: Developing leaders with appropriate skills & Diversifying the workforce
- Digital capacity and innovation
- Working international
For the Strategic review of DCMS-sponsored museums please see here.
Published 14 November 2017