Health Education England (HEE) is established as a special health authority from 28 June 2012. These directions allow Health Education England (HEE) to put in place preparations to ensure that it will be fully operation to take on its full education and training functions when strategic health authorities are abolished on 1st April 2013. The published directions are for stakeholders with an interest in planning and commissioning education and training for the healthcare workforce.
Specific functions include:
- building its capacity and capability, includingappropriate governance and operational and financial systems
- developing and publishing its HR policy, strategic education operating framework and criteria for establishing local education and training boards(LETBs)
- putting in place its advisory structure
- reviewing and approving strategic health authority education and training plans for 2013/14
- consider how education and training can raise awareness of the NHS Constitution and promote its values
- establish the appointment criteria and set up governing bodes for LETBs as committees of HEE .