The basic State Pension claim form

Print or request a claim form to claim the basic State Pension by post.



Use this form if you were born before 6 April 1951 (men), or 1953 (women).

If you were born on or after 6 April in 1951 (men) or 1953 (women) you can get your State Pension online.

Before you start

If you’re using a mobile phone or tablet

You cannot complete the form using a mobile phone or tablet. You have to either:

  • use a desktop or laptop computer
  • print the form and complete it by hand

Call the basic State Pension helpline to ask for a paper form.

If you’re using a desktop or laptop computer

Use a PDF reader to open and fill in this form. You can download a free PDF reader online.

If you are using screen reader software to access the form, we recommend that you review all of the notes and the questions on the form before you complete it. As you complete the form, you will be guided through the questions based on the responses you provide.

Do not use your computer’s browser or, if you are an Apple Macintosh user, the Preview application.

You can save data typed into this form if you use a PDF reader. This means that you do not have to fill in the form in one session.

There are reliability issues with some assistive software, which may mean the form will not save properly.

This form will only save if it is both:

  • saved onto your computer
  • opened in a recent version of PDF reader

The form will not save in:

  • versions of Acrobat Reader older than version XI
  • some other PDF readers, for example Preview on a Mac or Foxit on a PC

Help using this form

For help and advice on the information you need to put on the form or about the benefit you want to claim, contact the basic State Pension helpline. Or contact a voluntary organisation like Citizens Advice or Age UK

Contact the DWP Online Helpdesk, if you are having technical difficulties:

  • downloading the form
  • navigating around the form
  • printing the form

DWP online helpdesk


Telephone 0800 169 0154

Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
Closed weekends and all public and bank holidays

Find out about call charges

Where to send the form

Send the claim form to the Pension Service, or ask someone to do it for you.

Pension Service 8
Post Handling Site B
WV98 1AF

If you need this form in a different format

Contact basic State Pension helpline to ask for:

  • a printed copy of the form
  • a different format, such as large print, braille or audio CD
Published 1 July 2012
Last updated 27 January 2023 + show all updates
  1. Added BR1 accessible form and notes. Also, updated information on before you start to use the form and how to use it.

  2. Information updated to reflect that the Get Your State Pension online service is only available for people born on or after 6 April in 1951 (men) or 1953 (women).

  3. Removed the placeholder for the state pension claim form for those born on or after 6 April in 1951 (men) or 1953 (women). This form is no longer available online. The accessible online service can be used, or a paper copy of the form can be requested.

  4. Updated the address for posting the form.

  5. Removed state pension claim form for those born on or after 6 April in 1951 (men) or 1953 (women) and added a temporary placeholder until it can be updated.

  6. Updated details section with the address for the postal form.

  7. Updated Welsh 'details' section to reflect changes to English version.

  8. Added Welsh version of BR1.

  9. First published.