Support for a child who is informally living with you

Form to claim extra benefit or tax credits for a third or subsequent child who would otherwise likely be looked after by a local authority.



You will not be paid an additional amount of Child Tax Credit, Income Support or Universal Credit for more than 2 children, unless the children were born before 6 April 2017 or exceptions apply.

One of those exceptions applies if a child comes to live with you informally because it is likely they would otherwise be looked after by the local authority.

To apply for an extra amount for that child, fill in part 1 of this form and ask a registered social worker to fill in parts 2 and 3.

Use the separate form for Northern Ireland if you live there.

Published 6 April 2017
Last updated 28 November 2018 + show all updates
  1. Published updated English and Welsh forms to reflect regulation change for adopted and kinship care children.
  2. Published updated form and guidance to claim support for a child who is informally living with you and added Welsh language versions.
  3. First published.