Food waste: how to store food waste prior to recovery or collection

Sets out the requirements for storing food waste, including liquid waste, away from where it is produced without an environmental permit.

This publication was withdrawn on

This regulatory position statement no longer applies. You cannot follow the conditions in this RPS. You may need to apply for a waste environmental permit. The Environment Agency will give you until 15 November 2018 to apply for your permit.

Contact the Environment Agency if you’re not sure if you need a permit.


Storage of food waste intended for recovery: RPS 052

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


The Environment Agency work with industry to develop a standard rules permit that cover the temporary storage of food waste for the purpose of bulking up prior to recovery at another location. This statement sets out how we regulate this activity until the permit is available.

Published 27 March 2014