Standards for school premises
Guidance to help schools and local authorities understand their obligations in relation to the School Premises Regulations 2012.
This is for:
- school leaders
- governing bodies
- local authorities
- school staff
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units (PRUs)
- special schools not maintained by the local authority
- independent schools
- sixth-form colleges (SFCs)
The guidance helps schools and local authorities understand their obligations and duties in relation to:
- the School Premises Regulations 2012
- part 5 of the revised Education (Independent School Standards) (England) Regulations 2010, which came into force on 1 January 2013
Pupil referral units provide education for vulnerable children unable to attend a mainstream school.
Published: 14 May 2013
Updated: 9 March 2015
- Updated document to reflect changes to information on toilet facilities, fire safety, acoustic school design and area guidelines.
- First published.