Special educational needs (SEN) code of practice
Statutory code of practice on special educational needs.
This statutory code is for:
- governing bodies
- school staff
- early education providers
- health and social services staff
- local authorities
It applies to:
- maintained schools
- pupil referral units (PRUs)
- academies and free schools
- non-maintained special schools
The code explains the duties on schools to:
- provide reasonable adjustments for disabled pupils
- provide auxiliary aids and services to disabled pupils
More information and a practical guide to these duties are available on the Equality and Human Rights Commission’s website.
A guide for parents and carers on the main points of the SEN code of practice is also available.
This code relates to:
The new ‘Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years’ has now been published and comes into effect on 1 September 2014.
Published 1 November 2001