SEND: guide for health professionals
Guidance for health professionals on the support system for children and young people with special educational needs and disability (SEND).
Ref: DFE-00570-2014 PDF, 612KB, 29 pages
The guide is for:
- clinical commissioning groups
- health professionals
- local authorities
It explains the duties and responsibilities of health professionals who deal with children and young people with special educational needs and disability (SEND) and their families.
The guide should be read alongside the ‘Special education needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25’.
‘SEND resources for healthcare professionals’ lists links to government information and external websites that may help:
- health and wellbeing boards (HWBs)
- health service providers and professionals
Published: 9 September 2014
Updated: 11 March 2016
- Added 'SEND resources for health care professionals'.
- Updated information on managing transitions of young people to adult services. Added a template letter for clinicians to send to GPs about patients with learning disabilities.
- First published.