This document sets out a policy framework to ensure our traffic system meets the future needs of all road users, while building upon the existing and established traffic sign system.
It sets out recommendations, including how to:
- reduce regulation and provide more flexibility for local authorities
- reduce traffic signing on the road network
- deliver effective enforcement
- improve signs and traffic signals for pedestrians and cyclists
- allow more innovative measures to be used on the roads
- provide road users with better information
- develop local solutions built on local knowledge
The department will implement these recommendations in stages.