English language test requirements: guidance for colleges and training organisations

Guidance about English for the purposes of settlement and nationality, and limited leave, following Home Office changes.



The Home Office has announced changes to the arrangements for Secure English Language Tests (SELT).

From November 2015, people who need to prove their English language ability for the purposes of Settlement, Nationality or Limited Leave will need to take a Home Office approved SELT. The Home Office will no longer accept other English Language qualifications after November.

The new system means that settlement and citizenship applicants need to take tests at approved test centres.

Further information on SELTs is available on the Applying for a UK Visa: Approved English Language Tests and at the Approved English Language Qualifications pages.