This document provides an explanation of the estimates of separated families population statistics, their aims and the methodology used to compile the data used in the statistics.
The statistics provide estimates of:
- the total number of separated families in Great Britain
- the number of children in those families
- the proportion of separated families with a child maintenance arrangement
- the proportion of families with a:
- ‘statutory’ child maintenance arrangement through the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) or its predecessor the Child Support Agency (CSA)
- ‘non-statutory’ arrangement (any other child maintenance arrangement not arranged through the CMS or CSA and may include private ‘family-based arrangements’)