Statutory guidance setting out the arrangements for the constitution of school governing bodies formed after 1 September 2012.
This statutory guidance is for:
- school leaders
- school staff
- governing bodies
- local authorities
It explains the arrangements for the constitution of governing bodies of all maintained schools:
- formed on or after 1 September 2012
- or whose instrument of government has been changed on or after 1 September 2012
The guidance covers:
- the description of the different categories of governor
- how governing bodies are to be constituted
- terms of office
- removal and disqualification of governors
- instruments of government
- all aspects of the School Governance (Constitution) (England) Regulations 2012
The guidance contains a table showing the constitution of governing bodies by category of governor (annex A).
There is also a model instrument of government (annex B) which is also available separately for schools to download and fill in.
The School Governance (Constitution) (England) Regulations 2007 continue to apply to existing governing bodies until they decide to make a change to their instrument of government.
Schools where this is the case should refer to the statutory guidance on the ‘School Governance (Constitution) Regulations 2007’ instead.