School admissions code
Statutory guidance that schools must follow when carrying out duties relating to school admissions.
Ref: DFE-00728-2014 PDF, 682KB, 46 pages
Ref: DFE-00249-2015 PDF, 122KB, 3 pages
This school admissions code is for:
- headteachers and school leaders
- school staff
- governing bodies
- local authorities
- admission authorities of maintained schools as defined in section 88(1) (a) and (b) of the School Standards and Framework Act (SSFA) 1998
- schools adjudicators
- admission appeal panels
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- admission arrangements
- applications and offers
- ensuring fairness and resolving issues
- relevant legislation
It also features an admissions timeline.
You should read it alongside the ‘School admission appeals code’.
Statutory guidance sets out what schools and local authorities must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.
The explanatory note provides information about school places for children of public officials returning from overseas.
Further information about school admissions is available.
Published: 19 December 2014
Updated: 17 September 2015
- Added an explanatory note about school places for children of public officials returning from overseas.
- First published.