Sales, leases, transfers or mortgages: what trustees need to know about disposing of charity land (CC28)

Find out about the rules that apply to the selling, leasing or otherwise disposing of charity land.

Applies to England and Wales



Guidance for trustees who want to sell, or otherwise dispose of, charity property. Explains:

  • when Charity Commission consent is needed and how to get it
  • the different considerations for long and short leases, and other types of disposal
  • the requirements when taking out a mortgage
Published 31 March 2012
Last updated 14 June 2023 + show all updates
  1. Guidance updated to reflect changes introduced by the Charities Act 2022.

  2. First published.