This report sets out recommendations regarding the Liverpool Care Pathway and end of life care following an independent review of the LCP chaired by Baroness Julia Neuberger.
The recommendations include:
- phasing out the LCP and and replacing it with an individual end of life care plan
- a general principle that a patient should only be placed on the LCP or a similar approach by a senior responsible clinician in consultation with the healthcare team
- unless there is a very good reason, a decision to withdraw or not to start a life-prolonging treatment should not be taken during any ‘out of hours’ period
- an urgent call for the Nursing and Midwifery Council to issue guidance on end of life care
- an end to incentive payments for use of the LCP and similar approaches
- a new system-wide approach to improving the quality of care for the dying