Report on the use and experience of the Liverpool Care Pathway (LCP).
This report sets out recommendations regarding the Liverpool Care Pathway and end of life care following an independent review of the LCP chaired by Baroness Julia Neuberger.
The recommendations include:
- phasing out the LCP and and replacing it with an individual end of life care plan
- a general principle that a patient should only be placed on the LCP or a similar approach by a senior responsible clinician in consultation with the healthcare team
- unless there is a very good reason, a decision to withdraw or not to start a life-prolonging treatment should not be taken during any ‘out of hours’ period
- an urgent call for the Nursing and Midwifery Council to issue guidance on end of life care
- an end to incentive payments for use of the LCP and similar approaches
- a new system-wide approach to improving the quality of care for the dying