Water Act 2014: retail exit reform
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Introducing the policy and process around retail exit reform outlined in the Water Act 2014.
Ref: PB14118 PDF, 69.8KB
This page sets out the scope and timetable of retail exit reform, including a one page summary and a series of project updates. It also includes a fact sheet that provides background on the retail competition regime and how it relates to the policy on exits.
The Water Act 2014 allows for regulations to be made, which will allow water companies to seek consent from the Secretary of State to leave the non-household retail market. The government is committed to ensuring that companies who wish to exit can do so when the retail market opens in April 2017.
Published: 2 July 2014
Updated: 10 December 2014
- Added December 2014 update and factsheet.
- Retail exits November project update added.
- Added October 2014 project update.
- Replaced the September 2014 update because of an error in the consultation date, should be Summer 2015 not Summer 2016.
- Added the September 2014 progress update.
- Discussion document added which outlines questions to be answered about exits from the non-household retail market in water.
- First published.