European Antibiotic Awareness Day is a public health initiative aimed at encouraging responsible use responsible use of antibiotics.
European Antibiotic Awareness Day (EAAD), on 18 November 2012, is a Europe-wide public health initiative aimed at encouraging responsible use of antibiotics.
It is supported in England by the Department of Health and its advisory committee on antimicrobial resistance and health care associated infections (ARHAI).
The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control has created information and educational materials for use in hospitals and primary care settings and these have been adapted for use in England.
You can use these educational materials to help support your local activity on EAAD and to promote responsible use of antibiotics. There is a key messages document, 3 posters and a leaflet for use in primary or secondary care. Specific resources for primary and secondary care are also listed.
Key messages on antibiotic resistance
Posters and leaflet
There are 3 posters and a leaflet that can be downloaded.
Resources for use in primary care
Antibiotic awareness videos
Short videos are being screened again this year on the Life Channel in GP surgeries. These are a light-hearted way of reminding people to “take care, not antibiotics” for use in GP surgeries and other waiting areas. The antibiotic videos are available via YouTube.
Posters, leaflets and factsheets
In addition to the videos, posters and leaflet detailed above, a factsheet and a centre piece poster can also be downloaded.
New resources for 2012
The following new resources have been developed which promotes the ‘TARGET antibiotics’ website:
- Royal College of General Practitioners Toolkit ‘TARGET Antibiotics’ is available on the Royal College of General Practitioners website
Resources for use in secondary care
In addition to the videos, posters and leaflet detailed above, the following resources can also be downloaded
Other useful links
You might also find these links useful:
- Read the updates given to the NHS about European Antibiotic Awareness Day (letters to the NHS)
- Visit E-Bug - the educational tool about infections for schools
- More materials are available through the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
- NHS Choices provides information for patients and the public
- Patient.co.uk provides some useful information on antibiotics