Report prescription misuse: animal medicine
Submit an online report for suspected misuse of a veterinary prescription.
You can make a report of suspected misuse of a veterinary prescription to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD).
There are 2 categories of misuse of a prescription:
- alteration of an existing prescription
- prescription fraud
Examples of alterations include:
- changing the date the prescription was signed
- changing the quantity of the product
- inclusion of additional medicines
Examples of fraud include:
- supplying same prescriptions to multiple retailers for supply
- forging the signature of a vet, pharmacist or SQP
The VMD considers each reported case of misuse.
Generally, for altered prescriptions for non-food producing animals a warning letter will be sent to the offender for a first offence
For fraud, altered prescriptions for food-producing animals, repeat offences of altered prescriptions, case will be sent to Defra Investigation Services with a view to prosecution.
For further information read Enforcement strategy for animal medicines.