Report prescription misuse: animal medicine
Submit an online report for suspected misuse of a veterinary prescription.
You can report suspected misuse of a veterinary prescription to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD).
There are 2 categories of misuse of a prescription:
- alteration of an existing prescription
- prescription fraud
Examples of alterations include:
- changing the date the prescription was signed
- changing the quantity of the product
- inclusion of additional medicines
- altering the number of repeats
Examples of fraud include:
- supplying same prescriptions to multiple retailers for supply
- forging the signature of a vet, pharmacist or SQP
The VMD considers each reported case of misuse.
Generally, for medicines used in non-food producing animals a warning letter will be sent to the offender for a first offence.
For high risk cases, such as medicines used in food-producing animals, repeat offences and potential supply of medicines, a case will be sent to Defra Investigation Services for further investigation.
For further information read Enforcement policy for animal medicines.
Last updated 1 December 2021 + show all updates
Clarification of wording in last 2 paragraphs re action for high risk cases.
Maintenance note removed