Report a will is lost to support a probate application (PA13)

Use this form (PA13) if you are a person representing yourself to tell HM Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS) that an original will is lost and you’re applying for probate.



Use this questionnaire to tell HMCTS an original will is lost and to include it when you apply for probate. Only use this form is you are representing yourself.

If you’re an executor, you may need to complete this form if you:

  • cannot find the original will but have a photocopy of it or
  • sent the original will by post and the courier lost it or
  • found out a solicitor has mislaid the original will

If you are a legal representative do not complete this form. You must provide an affidavit/statement of truth and exhibits to lead to a R54 NPCR 1987 order to prove the will is lost.

Apply for probate

Send this questionnaire in with your probate application if:

  • you have a copy of the lost will
  • you swear an affidavit confirming what was in the will - seek legal advice if you’re not sure what to put in an affidavit
  • the will is invalid if
    • it was created by the person who created the will ‘testator’ but they did not sign it or no one witnessed it and
    • there’s no other will

How to report

  1. download the form
  2. fill in all sections
  3. print the form
  4. sign and date the application
  5. Send the completed form to:

HMCTS Probate
PO Box 12625
CM20 9QE

Contact us

If you need help completing this form, you can contact the probate helpline on 0300 303 0648. The line is open Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 5pm.

Published 28 February 2020
Last updated 25 August 2020 + show all updates
  1. Amended the form and publication page information to make it clearer that the form is for people representing themselves only.

  2. First published.