This report presents findings from the evaluation of the Removal of the Spare Room Subsidy (RSRS) in Housing Benefit.
Ref: ISBN 978 1 911003 14 4, RR913 PDF, 1.66MB, 169 pages
PDF, 254KB, 5 pages
Since April 2013 there have been new rules in Housing Benefit for working-age people living in social housing. This is referred to as the Removal of the Spare Room Subsidy.
The objectives of this report are to evaluate:
- how local authorities and social landlords prepared for and implemented the new rules
- whether the new rules led to more people moving within the social housing sector resulting in more effective use of housing stock
- whether the new rules led to more people in work, working increased hours or earning increased incomes
- the effects of the new rules on, and responses to them of:
- Housing Benefit claimants
- social landlords
- local authorities
- voluntary and statutory organisations and advice services
- funders lending to social landlords
We published an interim evaluation report in July 2014.
Authors: Anna Clarke, Lewis Hill, Ben Marshall, Michael Oxley, Isabella Pereira, Eleanor Thompson and Peter Williams (Ipsos MORI and the Cambridge Centre for Housing and Planning Research)