The Ormskirk Branch Line runs between Preston and Ormskirk. The line is the northern section of the former Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway. The line from Ormskirk to Liverpool is now part of Merseyrail’s Northern Line.
||About 31 minutes – one way
||22 September 2011
||West of Lancashire Community Rail Partnership (CRP)
||Community Rail Lancashire
The Preston to Ormskirk Branch Line serves the following 5 stations:
- Burscough Junction
The Preston to Ormskirk Line was designated as a community rail line by the Department for Transport in September 2011. The designation covers the line and the passenger services between Preston and Ormskirk. Apart from Preston all the stations on the route fall within the designation.
Network Rail strategic route plan
The Preston to Ormskirk Line has been identified as a rural route within Network Rail’s cross-Pennine, Yorks and Humber and north west (H) strategic route plan.
The Preston to Ormskirk Line is supported by the West of Lancashire Community Rail Partnership (CRP). This partnership is one of 5 to fall under the umbrella of Community Rail Lancashire. Altogether the partnerships support 7 lines or routes in Lancashire:
- Clitheroe Line (Clitheroe to Manchester) — Clitheroe Line CRP
- East Lancashire Line (Preston to Colne / Burnley Manchester Road) — the East Lancashire CRP
- Bentham Line (Leeds to Morecambe / Heysham Port) — Leeds, Lancaster and Morecambe CRP
- South Fylde Line (Blackpool South to Preston) — the South Fylde Line CRP
- Preston to Ormskirk Line — the West of Lancashire CRP
- Wigan to Southport Line — the West of Lancashire CRP
- Wigan to Kirkby Line — the West of Lancashire CRP
The Wigan to Southport and Wigan to Kirkby Lines are not designated community rail routes.