Transport to education and training for people aged 16 and over
Statutory guidance for local authorities on supplying transport to students and trainees aged 16 and over.
Applies to England
This statutory guidance is for local authorities.
It applies to all post-16 students or trainees attending:
- a school
- a further education institution
- an authority maintained or assisted institution providing higher or further education
- an establishment funded directly by the Education and Skills Funding Agency
- a learning provider that is funded by the local authority to deliver accredited programmes of learning (including colleges, charities and private learning providers)
- a place of work or apprenticeship
Statutory guidance sets out what schools and local authorities must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.
Last updated 28 January 2019 + show all updates
There have been no changes to policy or legislation. Updated guidance about transport for all post-16 students and students with SEND, older students and those in rural areas. Included good practice suggestions and department compliance checks. Added a local authority transport policy template and section on sustainable transport.
Updated and revised version of the 'Post-16 transport to education and training' statutory guidance for local authorities.