Statutory guidance, for local authorities, on the provision of transport for post-16 students to a place of education or training.
This statutory guidance is for local authorities.
It applies to all post-16 students or trainees attending:
- a school
- a further education institution
- an authority maintained or assisted institution providing higher or further education
- an establishment funded directly by the Education Funding Agency, for example independent specialist providers for learners with learning difficulties and/or disabilities
- a learning provider that is funded by the local authority to deliver accredited programmes of learning (including colleges, charities and private learning providers)
- a place of work or apprenticeship
This guidance outlines a local authority’s duty to prepare and publish an annual post-16 transport policy statement.
The policy statement must detail the transport provision for everyone of sixth form age receiving education or training.
This guidance replaces the ‘Post-16 transport’ guidance issued in June 2010. It will be reviewed annually from February 2015 and updated as necessary.