© Crown copyright 2018
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: email@example.com.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/phe-healthy-places/healthy-places
The Healthy Places programme was set up in 2013 by Public Health England (PHE) in recognition that where we live and the homes we live in have a big impact on our health and wellbeing.
The programme has been designed to support the development of healthy places and homes with the aim of ensuring that health inequalities are considered and addressed when planning, developing and improving the built environment and in enabling people to have a place they can call ‘home’.
The Healthy Places team is based in the Priorities and Programmes Division of the Health Improvement Directorate.
The programme works in partnership with local and national partners on a wide range of activities and is a hub for PHE’s activities on ‘place’. The programme’s achievements to date are summarised below.
1. Providing systems leadership and advocacy
PHE is providing system leadership and high-level engagement with other government departments and national stakeholder organisations.
Cross-departmental engagement with:
- Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) (formerly the Department for Communities and Local Government - DCLG)
- Department of Health & Social Care (DHSC) (formerly the Department of Health)
- Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC)
- Department for Transport (DfT)
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
- Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- NICE, NHS England
- Accord with National Parks England
- Sport England, Natural England, Town and Country Planning Association
- Institute of Health Equity (IHE), University of the West of England (UWE)
- Improving Health and Care through the home: A National Memorandum of Understanding
- Homelessness and inclusion health round table partnership
Internal specialist advice and peer support
2. Building skills and capacity
Build skills and capacity and give confidence to local teams by providing a set of tools, training and learning events.
Events and conferences
- Planning Officer Society South East (2017)
- The 14th International Conference on Urban Health (2017)
- Housing Development Health workshops series with PHE Centres and Local Authorities (2016/17)
- PHE annual conference (2017)
- LGA: public health and childhood obesity conference (2016)
- Annual LGA/ADPH conference (2016)
- PHE and King’s Fund: bringing together public health and housing (2015)
- ESRC: Reuniting health and planning seminar series (2015 to 2017)
- London First: a healthy dose of planning business event (2015)
- TCPA: planning healthy weight environments workshop series (2015)
- Building a healthy future conference: programme launch (2013)
3. Building networks and partnerships
PHE maintains a strong communication network with partners from a wide range of national and local stakeholders, including collaborating with PHE Centres and local public health teams.
Current awareness bulletin updates
Monthly evidence update (stored on Knowledge hub).
- Knowledge hub
- Email updates to stakeholders (occasional)
4. Developing and accessing evidence
PHE supports the development of, and access to, the evidence base for PHE and local teams by working at the interface between academia, policy and practitioners, including harnessing opportunities for co-production of publications, workshops and other initiatives.
- DCLG: planning practice guidance health and wellbeing (2014)
- House of Lords Select Committee on the built environment health evidence review (2015)
- LGA: submission to the LGA Housing Commission (2016)
PHE published briefings or co-produced and commissioned publications
Planning and the built environment
- PHE and IHE: Healthy High Streets: good place-making in an urban setting (2018)
- PHE: Spatial planning for health (2017)
- PHE: Health and environmental impact assessment: a briefing for public health teams in England (2017)
- UWE: Healthy people healthy places evidence tool: Evidence and practical linkage for design, planning and health (2017)
- TCPA: Securing constructive collaboration and consensus for planning healthy developments: A report from the Developers and Wellbeing project (2018)
- Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA) Journal: Healthy Planning - Securing Outcomes from United Action (2017)
- LGA and TCPA: building the foundations − tackling obesity through planning and development (2016)
- TCPA: planning healthy weight environments guide (2014)
- Town & Country Planning: reuniting health with planning journal (2014)
- TCPA: planning healthier places report (2013)
- PHE: regulating the growth of fast food takeaways (2013)
Housing and homelessness
- PHE collection of housing resources ‘Housing for Health’ (2017)
- Housing Infographics (2017)
- Homelessness: applying All Our Health (2016)
- Care & Repair England, Better Care Fund briefing (2016)
- Faculty for Homelessness and Inclusion Health, e-learning resources (2016)
- Homeless Link: housing and TB resource (2016)
- Housing LIN Dementia and housing: An assessment tool for local commissioning (2016)
- Housing LIN. Older people and alcohol misuse: Helping people stay in their homes (2016)
- Housing LIN, End of Life Care: Helping people to be cared for and die at home (2016)
- Housing LIN, Active Ageing and the Built Environment (2016)
- Housing Associations’ Charitable Trust (HACT), Standards for evidence generation (2016)
- Homeless Link, Preventing homelessness to improve health and wellbeing (2015)
- Homeless Link, Homeless health needs audit tool (2015)
- Care & Repair England, Home Adaptations, Integration and the Care Act (2015)
- Care & Repair England, Disabled Facilities Grant Funding via Better Care Funds (2015)
- Building Research Establishment (BRE), Homes and ageing in England (2015)
- Sitra, Public Health: Housing Workforce Holds the Key (2015)
- IHE, Fuel Poverty and cold home-related health problems (2014)
- Improving health through the home’: a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to support joint action (2014)
Active travel and transport
- PHE: working together to promote active travel – a briefing for local authorities (2016)
- Sport England: active design (2015)
- PHE: increasing physical activity and active travel (2013)
If you are working on improving health through better planning and design and addressing poor housing, email the Healthy People Healthy Places team HealthyPeople.HealthyPlaces@phe.gov.uk.