Official searches and outline applications (PG12)
- HM Land Registry
- Part of:
- Official Searches and Official Copies: practice guides and Practice guides
- 13 October 2003
- Last updated:
- 9 January 2017, see all updates
- Applies to:
- England and Wales
How to make an official search or an outline application and information on their purpose and effect (practice guide 12)
This guide gives advice on the purpose and effect of the various types of official search and outline applications that may be made with HM Land Registry. It is aimed at purchasers, their legal advisers and non-purchasers who want to update the information they hold in an official copy of the register.
We only provide factual information and impartial advice about our procedures. Read more about the advice we give.
Published: 13 October 2003
Updated: 9 January 2017
- Section 10 has been amended as we have introduced a new method of withdrawing an official search for customers who use the portal.
- Section 5.3 has been amended as a result of a resolution of a system issue regarding applications for searches of whole lodged through Business e-services where an application for first registration was pending.
- Section 5.3 has been amended to clarify that we will charge only the lower electronic fee even though searches of whole lodged against pending first registrations can be sent only by post.
- Section 5.3 has been further amended. As a result of a system issue, applications for a search of whole lodged through Business e-services where an application for first registration is pending can currently only be returned by post.
- Section 5.3 has been amended. You cannot lodge an OS1 application through Business e-services where the application for first registration is still pending.
- The guide has been amended to reflect that we will no longer accept applications by fax.
- Link to the advice we offer added.
- First published.