Non-resident landlord scheme: information for letting agents and tenants, version 7

Guidance for letting agents and tenants on their obligations under the non-resident landlord (NRL) scheme.


Non-resident landlord scheme: 7th information bulletin for letting agents and tenants

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


If you have rental property in the UK but your usual home is outside the UK, your tenants or letting agency will need to operate the non-resident landlord (NRL) scheme.

They need to deduct basic rate tax from rental income before they pass it onto you. You can offset this tax against your own tax bill at the end of the year.

Published 1 January 2014