This guidance for health professionals presents a step-by-step approach to the investigation of non-infectious disease clusters.
It describes a 3-stage investigation process comprising:
- screening (assessing the need to investigate)
- assessment (determining the plausibility of an environmental cause)
- investigation of possible causative factors (epidemiological studies, for example)
It also covers:
- best practice for reporting results and communicating risk
- roles and responsibilities for cluster investigation team members