Noise exposure reports and contours for London airports (Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted).
The Environmental Research and Consultancy Department (ERCD) of the Civil Aviation Authority estimates the noise exposures around the London airports (Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted) on behalf of the Department for Transport. The magnitude and extent of the aircraft noise around these airports are depicted on maps by contours of constant aircraft noise index (Leq) values. The contours are generated by a computer model validated with noise measurements, which calculates the emissions and propagation of noise from arriving and departing air traffic.
ERCD produce annual reports on noise exposure contours at Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted and previous copies of these - back to 1997. These are detailed reports and essential reading for those wishing to understand both how noise exposure contours are produced and how they should be interpreted.
Noise exposure reports and contours for London airports (Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted)
- Noise exposure contours for Heathrow Airport 2010 (PDF, 6216 KB)
- Noise exposure contours for Gatwick Airport 2010 (PDF, 4868 KB)
- Noise exposure contours for Stansted Airport 2010 (PDF, 5068 KB)
- Noise exposure contours for Heathrow Airport 2009 (PDF, 9216 KB)
- Noise exposure contours for Gatwick Airport 2009 (PDF, 7168 KB)
- Noise exposure contours for Stansted Airport 2009 (PDF, 7168 KB)
- Noise exposure contours for Heathrow Airport 2008 (PDF, 1434 KB)
- Noise exposure contours for Gatwick Airport 2008 (PDF, 1434 KB)
- Noise exposure contours for Stansted Airport 2008 (PDF, 1331 KB)
1997 to 2007
- Noise exposure contours 2007
- Noise exposure contours 2006
- Noise exposure contours 2005
- Noise exposure contours 2004
- Noise exposure contours 2003
- Noise exposure contours 2002
- Noise exposure contours 2001
- Noise exposure contours 2000
- Noise exposure contours 1998
- Noise exposure contours 1997
More detailed maps
The annual reports include small scale diagrams of noise exposure contours which provide an overall impression of their proximity to major towns.
For those wishing to see more detailed representation of noise exposure contours on the ground, ERCD also produces contours overlaid on larger scale Ordnance Survey paper maps ( 1:50,000 ) or, more recently, in AutoCad DXF format (previously supplied on CD-ROM), the latter primarily used by specialist users such as town planners, consultants etc. Both of these have traditionally been available for purchase from the Department as described in the annual reports.
For the non specialist user, a PDF version of each of the large scale Ordnance Survey maps is available for viewing and downloading.
Contours overlaid on large scale Ordnance Survey paper maps (1:50,000) are available, at a charge, as described in the annual reports. Although the information/scale presented is exactly same as in the PDF version, the printed maps are larger.
For the specialist user requiring greater detail, AutoCad DXF files are available. These allow the user to plot the contours on any scale of map.
If difficulty is experienced in accessing the contour maps please ring 020 7944 4856.