National tariff payment system 2014/15
A set of prices and rules to help local NHS providers and commissioners provide best value to their patients.
Applies to England
Monitor and NHS England are responsible for designing and implementing the payment system for NHS healthcare services from 2014 onwards.
This publication sets out the prices and rules that make up the national tariff payment system.
It is intended to help NHS commissioners and providers improve services for patients in 3 ways:
- by offering more freedom, to encourage the development of new service models
- by providing greater financial certainty, to help NHS providers and commissioners plan better
- by maintaining incentives to provide care more efficiently
It sets out:
- a list of NHS healthcare services
- how the national prices of those services are determined
- the national price of each of those services
- national variations to the national prices for services
- how an agreement between a provider and a commissioner to modify a national price can be approved, and how a provider’s application to modify a national price is decided on
- the rules on how providers and commissioners may agree to vary the specification or the national price of services
- the rules on determining the price payable for services that do not have a specified national price
- the rules on determining which currency (which is a ‘unit’ of care) applies in cases where a service is specified in more than one currency
- the rules on making payments for healthcare services
A guide to the Market Forces Factor
Provides information on the calculation and application of the Market Forces Factor, a nationally determined variation to the national price, in 2014/15.
Monitor and NHS England’s review of the marginal rate rule
Describes the findings and conclusions from the review of the marginal rate rule by NHS England and Monitor.
The national tariff information workbook (including non-mandatory prices)
Provides operational information for implementing the 2014/15 national tariff.
Guidance on locally determined prices
How to submit local variations and local prices to Monitor, and how to agree to or apply for a local modification to a national price.
Guidance on mental health currencies and payment
Describes how providers can use the adult mental health currencies, and how they can be used by commissioners and providers as the basis for setting local prices.
Enforcement of the national tariff
Explains how Monitor and its regulatory partners will enforce the national tariff on commissioners and providers.
Consultation on the 2014/15 National Tariff Payment System
Details how the consultation process for the 2014/15 National Tariff Payment System worked and gives our responses to the key issues raised.
Impact assessment of proposals for the 2014/15 National Tariff Payment System
Monitor’s assessment of impacts on patients, providers and commissioners from implementing the proposed 2014/15 national tariff.
Local payment grouper 2014/15
Following the release of the local payment grouper 2014/15, the following documents have been updated to include new OPCS version 4.7 codes:
- Annex 5A – National prices
- Annex 6B – Specialised services and eligible providers list
- the national tariff information worksheet (including non-mandatory prices)
The changes made to the versions published on 17 December 2013 are clearly marked and do not introduce any new or amended prices or currencies to the national tariff payment system 2014/15.