Notice to all designers, builders, owners, employers, skippers and crew of fishing vessels.
In agreement with Industry, the code contains some additional requirements based on MAIB
findings and discussion with Industry. These include measures to:
- prevent flooding or aid its early detection;
- aid man overboard recovery;
- ensure safe provision of shore power;
- reduce the risk of fire;
- aid evacuation of the vessel in an emergency;
- substantial modifications or alterations carried out to the structure or machinery of a vessel to be notified to MCA prior to work taking place
- If vessels are using shore power while the crew are living aboard this should not affect the early warning safety detection systems;
The code also strongly recommends that fishermen wear a personal flotation device whilst working on the open deck.
The code also clarifies that EPIRBs shall be capable of transmitting the position obtained from a built-in GPS receiver to a satellite.