This MIN expires 30 September 2016
Notice to all
- ship operators and managers
- masters and
Changes from the previous code of safe working practices for merchant seamen (2011 consolidated edition) include:-
- New title which reflects the terminology used in the Code.
- Increased emphasis on practical guidance rather than legislation.
- Improved guidance on risk assessment.
- Simplified advice on permits to work.
- Dangerous (Enclosed) Space chapter updated.
- New content on good safety culture, fatigue and ergonomics.
- Revised chapter on vessels serving offshore oil and gas.
- Streamlined format – sections removed and now A4.
It is intended to revoke the prescriptive requirements for the number of copies of the code to be carried on UK ships and replace this with a duty to ensure that the code is easily accessible and readily available to all seafarers on board. This change is expected to come into force in October 2015.