In December 2017 government announced the creation of the Expert Finance Working Group on Small Reactors to advise on how small nuclear reactor projects could raise investment in the UK.
The group, chaired by Fiona Reilly (Executive Partner, Atlantic SuperConnection and a Non-executive Director of the Nuclear Industry Association), sets out in the report a series of recommendation on how government, the nuclear and the finance sector can work together to enable the advanced nuclear technologies market.
- setting out a clear policy and market framework
- integrating energy, nuclear and finance sector stakeholders
- focusing on bringing first-of-a-kind (FOAK) projects to market
- establishing an advanced manufacturing supply chain initiative
- optimising the Generic Design Assessment (GDA) process
- making sites available to FOAK small nuclear projects
- setting out a new infrastructure fund