Marine accidents and incidents under investigation by MAIB, giving name of vessel, date, description and status of investigation.
PDF, 337KB, 2 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
All new investigations will be added to the investigations list. Current interim reports are also attached to this page.
Published: 14 December 2004
Updated: 20 November 2017
- MAIB has started an investigation into a fatal man overboard from the round-the-world yacht CV30 while on passage from Capetown, South Africa to Fremantle, Australia on Saturday 18 November.
- An investigation has started into a fatal accident to crew member of fishing vessel Illustris (B119) while alongside at Royal Quays, North Shields, England on 12 November 2017.
- We have started an investigation into the fatality of a crewman from the 8m fishing vessel Enterprise (SH323) off Scarborough on 6 November.
- MAIB has started two investigations: loss overboard of 42 containers from mv Ever Smart while 700nm east of Japan on 30 October and the grounding of sailing vessel CV24 during the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race, Western Cape Peninsula, South Africa on 31 October.
- Today we have deployed a team to assess the grounding of general cargo vessel Ruyter on Rathlin Island, Northern Ireland which occurred at 2154 yesterday.
- MAIB has commenced a new investigation into the grounding of Barbados registered general cargo ship Islay Trader off Margate, Kent, UK on 8 October 2017.
- MAIB is investigating the capsize of the 9.9m UK registered fishing vessel Solstice (PH199) about 9 miles south of Plymouth harbour on 26 September 2017 with the loss of one life.
- MAIB is investigating an accident to a crew member of the fishing vessel Constant Friend (N83) while the vessel was alongside at Kilkeel, Northern Ireland on Saturday 23 September.
- MAIB is investigating the fire in the forward engine room of the passenger ro-ro ferry Wight Sky on 12 September 2017, in which the vessel’s chief engineer was injured.
- We have started an investigation into a fire in the port engine space of Windcat 8, a 16m crew transfer vessel, operating in the Lincs Wind Farm in the North Sea off Skegness, UK.
- The MAIB is investigating the collision between two F4 powerboats on Stewartby Lake, Bedfordshire on 2 July 2017 which resulted in the capsize of one of the powerboats and serious injury to the driver.
- Investigation has started into unintentional releases of the fire suppressant system’s CO2 gas into the CO2 room after accidents on the ro-ro passenger vessel Red Eagle on 17 July 2017 and ro-ro cargo vessel Eddystone on 8 June 2016.
- MAIB has started a preliminary assessment of a collision between the bulk carrier Huayang Endeavour and the tanker Seafrontier in the Dover traffic separation scheme on Saturday 1 July. The accident occurred in UK territorial waters, but the vessels proceeded to Dunkirk and Antwerp respectively where they were met by our inspectors. Both vessels are registered in Hong Kong.
- Yesterday MAIB started an investigation into the grounding of the UK registered bulk carrier Ocean Prefect while entering the port of Umm Al Quwain, United Arab Emirates on 10 June 2017.
- An investigation has begun into an accident at Jebel Ali, United Arab Emirates, on 4 May 2017. The UK registered container ship CMA CGM Centaurus contacted the quay while berthing. There are no reported injuries or pollution. Damage has been sustained to the ship, the quay and two shore cranes.
- Today the MAIB has published its report following our investigation into the contact between passenger ferry Uriah Heep and Hythe Pier, near Southampton, England which occurred on 13 May 2016.
- An investigation into today's flooding and sinking of the fishing vessel Ocean Way (LK207) approximately 22nm north east off Lerwick, Shetland Islands, has started. All five crew were rescued from the sea.
- The MAIB has started an investigation into last week's auxiliary boiler explosion in the engine room of the container vessel Manhattan Bridge. The vessel was berthing at Felixstowe Container Terminal at the time. One crew member died and another sustained serious injuries.
- The MAIB is investigating an explosion in the hold, containing incinerator bottom ash, of the general cargo vessel Nortrader. A crew member was seriously injured.
- A new investigation has commenced following a fatal accident to crew member of UK registered bulk carrier Graig Rotterdam while discharging cargo at anchor off Alexandria, Egypt on 18/12/16.
- Investigation started following the grounding of the Spanish registered cargo vessel Muros on Haisborough Sands off the Norfolk coast, England on 3 December 2016.
- The MAIB has started an investigation into a collision between the passenger vessel Typhoon Clipper and the workboat Alison off Tower Pier, River Thames, London on 5 December 2016. The workboat sank and 2 people were recovered uninjured from the water.
- The MAIB has started an investigation into the fatality during a pilot transfer involving MV Sunmi on 5 October 2016.
- The MAIB has started an investigation into the grounding of the ferry MV Hebrides and the vessel’s subsequent heavy contact with a quay in Lochmaddy, North Uist, Scotland on 25 September 2016. The vessel was damaged but there were no injuries reported.
- We are investigating the grounding of a UK registered ultra-large container vessel, CMA CGM Vasco de Gama in the central Solent, whilst approaching the port of Southampton on 22 August 2016.
- The MAIB has started an investigation into the fatal man overboard from a UK registered 8.2m fishing boat Pauline Mary (WY 845), east of Hartlepool, England, on 2 September 2016.
- MAIB have commenced an investigation into a fire on board the fishing vessel Ardent II (INS127) while alongside in Peterhead Harbour on 16 August 2016.
- MAIB have commenced an investigation into the grounding of a semi-submersible, Transocean Winner, on the west coast of Lewis after it became detached from the tug boat Alp Forward on 8 August 2016.
- The MAIB has started an investigation of the serious injury to a crewman on board the UK registered fishing vessel Sea Harvester (N822) when 7.3 miles north-west of Ailsa Craig, Scotland, on 3 August 2016.
- The MAIB has started a new investigation a collision between the two passenger excursion RIBs, Osprey and Osprey II, in the Firth of Forth resulting in serious injuries to 1 passenger on 19 July 2016.
- Investigation started: Flooding on board the passenger ferry Royal Iris off Eastham Locks, River Mersey on 10 July 2016. The ferry was damaged and its passengers were transferred to a nearby dredger. There were no injuries.
- The MAIB has started a new investigation into the loss of a crewman overboard from the fishing vessel King Challenger (BA87) while south-west of Scalloway, Shetland on 23 June 2016.
- The MAIB has started 2 new investigations: A CO poisoning resulting in two fatalities on board the motor cruiser Love for Lydia in Wroxham, Norfolk on 9 June 2016; and, a man overboard from a 10m fishing vessel Our Sarah Jane in the English Channel 9 June 2016.
- The MAIB has started a new investigation into the fatality of the chief officer on board the UK registered cargo vessel Johanna C in Songklha, Thailand on 11 May 2016.
- The MAIB has started a new investigation into the loss of UK fishing vessel Harvester on 28/04/16 off Abereiddy, Wales, resulting in loss of life.
- The MAIB has started a new investigation into the loss of a crewman overboard from the fishing vessel Apollo off the north-west coast of Orkney, Scotland on 18th April 2016.
- MAIB has started a new investigation into the flooding and subsequent sinking of the fishing vessel Fredwood while berthed alongside in Maryport, England on 6th April 2016.
- MAIB has started an investigation into the foundering of UK registered fishing vessel Louisa while at anchor off the island of Mingulay, Outer Hebrides, on 9 April 2016, resulting in loss of life.
- New investigation: Fatal accident to crew member washed overboard from yacht in the Pacific Ocean on 01/04/16.
- MAIB has started a new investigation into the grounding, capsize and flooding of a 22m fishing vessel Saint Christophe 1 while moored alongside in the port of Dartmouth on 9 March 2016.
- New investigation started: man overboard from an Atlantic rowing boat, 815nm west of Cape Verde on 14 February 2014.
- The MAIB has started a new investigation into the flooding and foundering of a 16m creel boat off Yell, Shetland on 21st January 2016. The vessel's crew abandoned to a liferaft and were uninjured.
- The MAIB has started a new investigation into the death of a crew member on Svitzer Moira during mooring operations in Portbury Dock, Bristol on 29 December 2015.
- The MAIB has deployed a team to investigate the collision between ro-ro cargo vessel Primula Seaways and car carrier City of Rotterdam in the approaches to the Humber at approximately 2014 on 3 December 2015.
- The MAIB has started a preliminary assessment into the fatal accident in a swimming pool on board Pacific Dawn while on passage in the Coral Sea on 9th November 2015.
- New investigation started. MAIB Inspectors have deployed following the fatal man overboard from fishing Annie T off the coast of Barra, Scotland on 4 October 2015.
- MAIB has commenced its investigation into a fire on board fishing vessel Karinya, off Fraserburgh on 4 October 2015. The five crew abandoned to a liferaft and were later rescued. The fishing vessel subsequently sank.
- MAIB has commenced its investigation into the fatal accident to a watch leader on round-the-world yacht CV21 on 5/09/15.
- The MAIB has started a new investigation into the collision between the Cyprus registered general cargo ship Daroja and the St Kitts and Nevis registered bunker tanker Erin Wood off Peterhead, Scotland on 29 August 2015. Erin Wood was towed into Peterhead having sustained damage.
- The MAIB has started two new investigations: 1) Engine room fire on board the dredger Arco Avon off the coast of Great Yarmouth on 18 August with the loss of one life. 2) Grounding of scallop dredger St Apollo in Inninmore Bay, Sound of Mull on 24 August. All five crew abandoned to a liferaft.
- MAIB have started a new investigation following the loss of a crewman overboard from fishing vessel Aquarius off the coast of Aberdeen on 17 August 2015.
- The MAIB has started a new investigation into the fatal man overboard accident from supply vessel Oldenburg while alongside at Ifracombe on 3rd August 2015.
- New MAIB deployment following the collision between two UK registered fishing vessels 13nm South of Ardglass, Northern Ireland on 29 July 2015.
- Investigation started
- New MAIB deployment
- New investigation started - Accident involving Vector V40R powerboat - Contact with navigation buoy, entrance to River Hamble, Southampton Water on 13 May 2015
- New investigation started.
- New investigation started.
- New investigations started.
- New investigation started.
- First published.