Explosives precursors and poisons licences: application guidance

Guidance for the public on how to apply for a licence to acquire, possess or use poisons or explosives precursors.



If you want to acquire, import, possess or use certain chemicals, poisons or explosives precursors, you must have a valid explosives precursors and poisons (EPP) licence issued by the Home Office.

This document gives guidance to the public on:

  • which substances you need an EPP licence for
  • offences and penalties for not having a licence
  • how to apply for an EPP licence
  • how to renew, replace or amend a licence
  • licence costs
  • who needs a certificate of good conduct
Published 5 August 2014
Last updated 17 August 2016 + show all updates
  1. Updated 'amend a licence' section of guidance
  2. Updated guidance published.
  3. Updated guidance
  4. First published.