The Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD) is responsible for enforcing the legal controls for veterinary medicines.
VMD aims to protect public health, animal health, and the environment and to promote animal welfare by assuring the safety, quality and efficacy of veterinary medicines.
- why animal medicines are controlled
- what the controls are and how they work
- how you can be sure that an animal medicine has been properly authorised
- what standards the VMD applies
- who can supply pet medicines
- who enforces the controls on the supply of pet medicines
- buying medicines for your pet on the internet
- what you can do to make sure that the medicine you give to your pet will be safe and effective
- side effects
- what to do with any unused medicine
- where you can find out more about a medicine