Keeping a wild bird without a ring: licence application

Form for a bird keeper to apply for a licence to keep a captive wild bird without a ring.

This publication was withdrawn on

This form is now out of date. Read the current guidance: Register a captive bird of prey


WLRS01: Application for a licence to keep a Schedule 4 bird unringed

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Under Section 7 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, wild birds kept in captivity must be registered with the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA). This applies to all bird species listed in Schedule 4 of the Act.

The bird must be registered at the address where it is kept, and the bird must have a unique identification mark such as closed leg ring or microchip.

Bird keepers must complete this form to apply for a licence to keep a bird without a ring.

An application to keep a bird unringed on medical grounds must be sent with a supporting letter from a veterinary surgeon.

See guidance on how to register a captive bird of prey.

Published 1 July 2007
Last updated 1 October 2014 + show all updates
  1. AHVLA documents have been re-assigned to the new Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA).

  2. First published.